Native American Housing and Lending Services
Whether you are an established, start-up or restructured organization we can assist. We can help you create comprehensive tribal loan programs; collaborate with the Leadership of your community and take a holistic and progressive approach to your tribal housing needs. If you do not have the in-house staff to facilitate the loan process, we can do it for you! From loan intake to underwriting and funding we will help you bring Native American homeownership to your community.
Products we offer
- Organizational Needs Analysis- NHCS can provide a comprehensive analysis of existing programs, staffing, and funding in collaboration with strategic planning for future organization growth to meet the needs of your clients.
- Land documentation on Native American Trust Land- The most predominant barrier to mortgage lending on reservations is the land status. NHCS can help you create process flows in collaboration with your Realty, tribal departments and/or BIA offices to ensure proper documentation, accountability, approvals, and recordation.
- Native American Loan Program Structure- NHCS can analyze your existing loan program structure including Mutual Help, Down Payment Assistance and other tribal loan programs or create new loan program structured to meet your budgetary and organizational needs. Interest revenue income from internal loan programs is one of the ways organizations can build financial sustainability and independence from government funding.
- Loan Policies & Procedures- NHCS can enhance your existing lending policies and procedures or create ones for new program implementation. We can work directly with senior management, Board Members and Legal Counsel to ensure proper jurisdictional laws are followed and mitigate loan loss for your organization.
- Loan Processing & Underwriting Capacity- NHCS has a combination of 29 years of mortgage lending experience. With this experience, we can assist your clients in becoming mortgage ready. We will execute all of the proper mortgage disclosures for you. We will provide the file set-up and full underwriting of your loans including loan recommendation to the appropriate parties at your organization. Many tribal organization have the desire to conduct mortgage lending, however have a lack of trained staff, high staff turn-over rate or simply need help with getting their lending up and running. Whatever your needs are we can be part of your team and build your capacity or provide that capacity for you.
- Loan Committee capacity and training- If your organization is structured to have a Loan Committee we can provide training to your committee Members if needed. Don't have a Loan Committee but need one? We can assemble one for you.
- Financial Education- We can provide credit counseling, budgeting, and debt management counseling to your borrowers in a variety of platforms for their convenience.
- Loss Mitigation- We can provide your clients with post-closing counseling and assist with pre-foreclosure, delinquency and loan work-out counseling.
- Loan Document Creation- With loan origination comes the need for proper loan documentation. NHCS can work with your Legal team to create documents such as Deed of Trust, Mortgage, Promissory Note, Foreclosure/foreclosure prevention, loan disclosures that are in line with your tribal ordinances or jurisdictional laws. Land acquisition and construction partnerships- NHCS has an affiliated partnership with commercial real estate services in sales that can assist you in purchasing additional land base for housing construction. In addition, we can help you collaborate with general contractors to negotiate efficient structural designs at the most cost effective price. Not sure how to manage the construction end of a mortgage? We'll help you or we can do it for you!
- Other Funding Opportunities- You want to provide housing in your Community but don't have the funding or need to supplement your existing funding? NHCS has partnerships with grant writers to expand funding opportunities. NHCS also has partnerships with mainstream lenders. We can prepare your organization on producing loan files that will meet lender requirements.